April 2007 – Board Meeting Minutes

By | April 30, 2007

WWDXC Board Meeting 2007-04-30

 

Attending:

President – Brian Moran, N9ADG

Secretary – Alan Burgstahler, N7BF

Treasurer – Marina Zuetell, N7LSL

Board Member – Dick Swanson, K7BTW

Board Member – Jim Hadlock, K7WA

Board Member – Joe Gregory, W7QN

Board Member – Hillar Raamat, N6HR

Board Member – Kirk Bellar, N7UK

Board Member – Herb Holeman, W7ZF

Past President – Denny Bowman, W7SNH

Pat Shinners, W7GTO

Elsie Raamat, N7YX

 

The minutes from the March 2007 meeting were accepted.

 

Correspondence:

  • 3B7C Dxpedition funding request was received.  This is the 18th most needed DX entity.  $100 funding was approved.
  • Manchester Minera All America CW Contest notice was received.  This contest is May 19 and 20, 2007.

 

Treasurer’s report:

  • New checks from the bank and too costly and not the same as the last run.  Marina will talk to the bank and try to get a refund.
  • Printing costs for the Salmon Run certificates are still outstanding.

 

Membership:

  • Time for the annual membership renewals is coming up.  Jim will try to get the renewal letters mailed before the May 14th postage increase.
  • There was discussion about using PayPal for membership renewals.  Once we have the PayPal account set up for the DX convention registrations, we can use the PayPal account for other things too.

 

DX Convention Status:

  • Kickoff meeting with team leaders will be held Wednesday, May 9th, at 9pm at the Group Health facility.
  • PayPal is definitely being set up for convention registrations.
  • Ward Silver, N0AX, will be the emcee for the convention.
  • The speaker for the Sunday breakfast will be Mike Mraz, N6MZ, who will be talking about the Dxpedition to Scarborough Reef.
  • Programs should be firmed up by mid-June.  Ward is in charge of the programs and will be out of town until the end of May.
  • Talked about how to advertise the convention to Oregon and B.C. clubs and their members.

 

Old Business:

  • Web site is running.  We’re getting some income from hits on the advertisements.
  • The Club Repeater.  We have a certificate of coordination for our repeater.  There was discussion on the use of the repeater and whether there are enough people using the voice DX spots.  There will be some work done on an audio-operated lockout for the voice spots so that voice communication can be carried out on the repeater without being overridden by the DX spots.  Discussion was made on the possible use of PL on the repeater transmitter when communications other than the DX spots are being transmitted.  This would allow people who are not interested in listening to the DX spots to monitor the repeater for voice communications.
  • Field Day.  Bryan will put out a request on the reflector to see if he can find people to spearhead setting up the Field Day stations.  (Subsequently, Bryan has announced that he and his family will not be home during Field Day, so other arrangements may have to be made for a Field Day operation.)
  • Salmon Run.  The contest rules need to be updated to allow a 500-point bonus for working the W7DX station in the digital mode.  This would bring the digital mode into the same status as the CW and SSB modes.
  • Traveling Trophy.  The engraving is waiting for the announcement of this year’s winner, at which time Kurt will get all the engraving caught up to date.

 

New Business:

  • Dick and Bryan have been looking at possible new meeting locations for East and South meetings.
  • There is also a possibility that we could have meetings at locations where there would not be food served, such as libraries.
  • Hillar volunteered to collect and edit DXCC information from club members who would be willing to have their DXCC information published on the club’s web site.  This would enable club members to see how they rank against other club members for the DXCC totals in all categories.
  • Kirk wants to propose a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with King County ARES for the use of the club’s repeater.  They would need to have coverage to Camp Murray and the repeater would have to have emergency power.  The coverage problem might require that the repeater be moved to a different location than which it is at currently.  He wants people to think about the possibility of the MOU.  There would be net operations weekly as well as operations during emergencies.

 

Next general club meeting is May 8th in Lake City.

 

Next Traveling Trophy contest is CQ CW WPX contest at the end of May.